Explore our Frequently Asked Questions
At this time, the scholarship can only be used for training leading to an airplane, single-engine land rating.
Other aircraft categories (rotorcraft, glider, lighter than air, powered lift, powered parachute, and weight-shift control) are not included in this scholarships, however, the Board of Directors may grant specific authorization on a case-by-case basis. Contact the Scholarship Coordinator for additional information.
The scholarship is valued at $1,500.
The Board of Directors reviews the cost of flying and adjusts this amount on a periodic basis.
The scholarship must be used within one year of award (date candidate is selected by the board through one year after notification of the award) and while the winner is still an active cadet (or cadet who has transitioned to senior member status) in good standing.
No. Applicants must not have received (or been selected for) a similar flight scholarship in the past. .
The scholarship will be awarded at The Spaatz Association Mid-Winter Dinner, typically held in conjunction with the CAP Winter Command Council meeting in early March.
Recipients will also be notified via email in early March.
There are very few strings attached to our Flight Scholarships. We ask that our awardees follow 3 simple steps:
- Step 1: Complete a Contact Verification Form to receive funds.
- Step 2: Submit a Letter of Personal Introduction and Appreciation for our benefactors.
- Step 3: Submit updates on progress, including a completion report and/or news article (suitable for use on the Association’s website), and adequate documentation on the appropriate use of scholarship funds, within 90 days of expenditure of funds.
What does a Letter of Personal Introduction, an Update on Progress, or an End of Activity Report look like?
You can see some samples here:
- Sample Personal Introduction and Update Letters
- Sample Grant Report (See more Grant and Scholarship Reports here)
IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT put personally identifiable information (PII) in the report (CAPSNs, birthdays, addresses, etc. — names and grades are ok). These reports will be shared with our Donors via The Spaatz Association website.
Email the National Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the National Secretary at email@example.com for any changes.
Of course! You are also encouraged to share pictures with our social media sites. That would be cool.
Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Contact our National Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.